so we've put it at the bottom!
Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )  New Reply  New Topic  New Poll 

Paper Faces on Parade, Julius
Francis and Zoe Tellerman
 Posted: May 16 2012, 04:48 PM

Wonders

Full App
Played by: N/A

"But father, do I have to?" Francis complained. His father wanted him to go to a party that was happening at the museum. Francis usually put one of the assistants in charge when one of those were happening at his place of business.

"Yes Francis, you shall. Many of my colleagues will be there, and you need to learn how to deal with those of the better class, not those workers at the museum." Jacob was in the banking business, and always looking to expand his clients. He would attend himself, but he had a meeting at the bank, and could not attend.

"If you insist father." Francis may not have gone into what his father had wanted, the family business, but he still cared about what his father thought of him.

"And Francis," His father's stern voice said as he was walking to his father's private steam-car. "Be sure to set out a dress for your... erm sister, should she arrive. Thank you." Jacob left, walking back into his estate. The banker never knew how to deal with the fact that his descendants were wonders, nor that after fifteen years of raising one boy, he had gained a daughter as well.

Francis looked out the window as the driver sped along the newly reformed streets specifically for the steam-car. He detested these up-nosed parties, the people bored him, and his subjects always confused the other people he was talking to. Zoe loved them however, she may be the same age as him, but he had only truly had her own memories for twelve of those years. That was the age she acted sometimes as well.

On the thought of his sister, he pulled out his pocketbook and started writing in it. Hey Zoe, dad said to leave a dress for you, so I'll put it in the office. Francis. They reached the museum. Francis got out and tipped the driver, never know when one of them will go crazy and take you hostage. Francis took the dress bag out of the boot of the vehicle, and took the service entrance to the museum.

He set the dress down in the office and straightened his own coat and tails. He had the ascot and forgone the top hat. He was uncomfortable enough. He took out his pocketbook and began to write. Zoe, we are at a party at the museum, please behave yourself if you come out. Francis. Francis sighed, put back the pocketbook, and went out to mingle with the boring blue-bloods.
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 17 2012, 09:23 AM

Humans

Full App

It had been an interesting few days since he had a arrived, his meeting with Miss Grayson on the docks the day he’d arrived had been most enjoyable, it was quite enjoyable to other free spirits in this day and age. Gathering his suit up, a purple frock suit with a dark bronze ascot, grey top hat, green spectacles, the spiffy pocket watch he’d acquired in London and his walking cane, complete with a hidden blade for any unforeseen troubles. Pulling on his black leather gloves and moving out of the hotel he was staying in.

He personally hated the lowly act of pick pocketing and filching from people who were clueless as to his activities. Shaking his head as he climbed aboard a carriage to the Party that was going on, luckily at the museum he’d been eyeing since he got into town. Rubbing his chin before lighting up a delicious cigar, he still hadn’t figured out who all the other players in New Venice were yet, which did open a small bit of challenge and thrill for him. No idea who was a fellow thief and who was a layman.

Arriving outside of the museum he took a deep pull off of his cigar before heading inside. Looking around this place was a goldmine of easy marks. Twirling his cane playfully as he walked inside the building and smiling to himself as he doffed his overcoat with the coat check and sauntered in. ‘Time to work’ He thought, he had to get some items to fence and then find a fence to get paid for them. But one step at a time, he hated the thought of stealing actual money…but he was running low, his lifestyle was not easily affordable.

Throwing on his most dashing smile as he wandering between groups talking and regaling them with fanciful tales of his adventures. This was going to be a long night he thought to himself as he kept up a handsome smile and kept talking getting information on the museum and every scrap of info he could find on New Venice and who all the major movers and shakers were.

OOC: His outfit and accessories.
http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/00..._utmk=258300042

http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/00...__utmk=53426472

http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/00...__utmk=25571645

http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/00...__utmk=49150118

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out...=l&tid=45375643

http://www.wwmeinc.com/mm5/graphics/000000...B002%20300w.jpg On his collar.
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 17 2012, 10:36 PM

Wonders

Full App

Francis was bored as hell. The party was in full swing, classy ladies looking for a rich gentleman to spend his money after the marriage and be set for life. Gentlemen looking for the next conquest to notch on their bedposts. Lords looking for new clients, and Ladies looking to play matchmaker. In the middle of all of this was Francis, ready to rip his hair out.

"So, Mr. Francis, I hear you work in the museum, what an act of charity!" Some socialite butterfly said to him, fluttering her eyelashes at him. She sighed, she must know his father is a banker, or her mother does. He must be polite, bhe he didn't have to be understandable. "Yes, I am. In fact, I am the curator of this museum. Tell me, what is your favorite period of history? I have often found the Renascence period to be one of the most profound areas of intellectual and scientific expansion since the Egyptians, would you rightly agree, milady?"

She attempted to answer something relevant, failing miserably, then "saw" her friend across the hall and made her way. Francis gave a toothy smirk as she left. He didn't really mind the attention, but he just couldn't see himself with someone who couldn't hold her own in a conversation. He turned and started another conversation with one of the contributors to the museum, at least this one would give him some intellectual stimuli.
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 17 2012, 11:35 PM

Humans

Full App

Shaking his head a little disappointed at the utter lack of challenges presented by the upper crust of society so far. But he had enough money now to keep himself satisfied for awhile as well as a few nice trinkets. Smirking as he moved away from a small group of ladies...or was it a gaggle of girls, he was not too sure what the proper definition would've been. But he'd decided it was time to leave after they had started blushing and stammering, it was so easy to blame slightly bad behavior on being a foreigner. It was amusing to him to make the 'elite' uncomfortable in their own environment, his own little revenge on the alleged better part of society.

Turning to face the man that turned towards him. He appeared to be about as dissatisfied as he was with the party. Flashing a quick smile at him. "Bonjour...I mean hello, forgive my manners sir,"

He said with a moderate French accent. "So how are you enjoying the event so far?"
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 18 2012, 12:08 AM

Wonders

Full App

The first thing that caught Francis' attention was that the man was not of american descent, that was for sure. Then again, most were not. It was always interesting when a foreigner came to one of these, it gave an air of the exotic, no matter where they were from. French, was Francis' guess, rich history, great wine. He wasn't too keen on the snails though.

Francis put on his high society face and turned towards the Frenchman. "Could be better, Glad that the museum is hosting, it needs the publicity, but none here truly care about history, even though most of their families are major contributors to it." Francis wondered what the man was here for, the contacts, the scenery of high fashion, or just being another socialite. "So, I'm suspecting your not from New Venice, french?"
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 18 2012, 12:33 AM

Humans

Full App

Smiling wistfully when greeted. The man spoke as someone who cared for the museum as opposed to one of the socialites here. Definitely someone worth talking to and getting to know a bit better, he'd probably know more about the artifacts here. Nodding before answering

"Yes I come from Marseilles and have done a little travelling around the world here and there, not as much as I would like, not by a long shot, but I digress, I came by here to get the feel of New Venice, came off the boat day before yesterday, I was lucky that there was an event such as this so soon after arriving, I must admit this is a lovely city, I had heard many tales of this country before coming here, I was hoping to see some wild Indians roaming about but I'm gathering the tales were a bit more embellished than I was lead to believe...but since we are in a museum, let us talk of history, what is your favorite era?"
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 18 2012, 01:31 PM

Wonders

Full App

Francis was pleased that the man was in fact not from this country. It would have been embarrassing otherwise. It would also to have served to drive another fake foreigner away. This seemed to not be the case. He looked like the genuine thing, I mean, who in New Venice would wear glasses with such a green tint to them?

"Ah, so you are new here, thats not surprising. Any new member of the "upper class" as it was called would be the talk of all these.. er charming people." Francis put up a nervous smile and a chuckle. "No, no, wild natives are more towards the west, I'm afraid. It's still a deadly place out there, lawless in great deal of that desert."

Francis' ears perked up at the sound of the word museum. "Well, as the curator of this fine building of learning, we have exhibits on many periods and eras in history. Our largest are the Egyptian, which we have just got a sarcophagus on loan from London, and our most controversial one, "The History of Wonders". Something of a pet project, it details the effect wonders have had all throughout history, ranging from history's many monsters, shapechangers and vampires and such. But like you, I digress as well, I must say I prefer the Renascence era, quite a great learning curve after the dark ages."
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 18 2012, 02:57 PM

Humans

Full App

"Ahh off into the far west, I might make a journey out there some day, just to see it all," Smiling happily at the mention of Egyptian artifacts, he had a fondness for Egypt, it was a magical place when he was there, full of wonder and mystery, intrigue and romance. Pulling out a cigar and offering to the apparent curator of this establishment.

"Egypt? I love Egypt while I was there...sadly it was not a long visit, but a beautiful land full of amazement, but as for history my favorite period would have to be your American Revolution, my great grandfather fought in it, it was an amazing triumph over the British, twas about time someone put them in their place where they belong,"

PM>>
^
 Posted: May 18 2012, 09:53 PM

Wonders

Full App

"Ah, Egypt, yes, splendid place, full of ancient artifacts and amazement. They say most of the Pharaohs were wonders, amazing thought, and very plausible. They were said to be gods on earth. With that, you would think, wonders have been around since the dawn of time, and their abilities were probably seen as god-like powers" Francis was inconsolably ecstatic when someone mentioned history.

"Ah yes, the revolution. We did win, but I personally think that England let us, in all truth. Look at the facts: at the time England was the biggest nation around. If they were not involved in India and the east, they would have sent their forces against us, but I believe India was more important to them, don't you think?"
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 18 2012, 11:20 PM

Humans

Full App

"It is entirely possible that some of the gods or heroes of myth were in fact Wonders, it would not surprise me in the least if someone like Gilgamesh, Achilles, Thor or any other mythological character. Honestly though I don't think Britain let you win, by the time they could've sent reinforcements it would be months, months that America and France could have trained up a much better and larger army to combat them more effectively" Lighting up a cigar and taking a long puff off of it.

"India has been very important and crucial to their success, possibly even more than Istanbul or Hong Kong," He'd only been to Hong Kong twice in his life, he'd of loved to have stayed more, Hong Kong was an amazing place.

"I docked in New Delhi for a short while before continuing onto Eastern coast of Asia for a few years, would not have mind staying a bit longer than the few days I had to enjoy it"
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 19 2012, 03:03 AM

Wonders

Full App

Francis shook is head. "England was only a few months away at that point, even not pulling out of India, we could never have built up that large of a force to defend against the whole might of the British Empire. Even if we could hold off, they only have to hold the dock cities until reinforcements arrive from India and such. they would have driven us west, where the Natives would probably have killed us off." He said, punctuating every point with movements from his hands.

When the topic changed, he dropped the subject. "Ah, the mystical east, I would love to go there someday. I would go on Museum business, but my job keeps me here and keeps this center of learning running. Tell me, how was it? Was it like everyone says?"
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 19 2012, 03:14 AM

Humans

Full App

Nodding along as Francis explained his point about the British reinforcements, he did have a valid point, probably wouldn't have gone over too well once the Ghurka's arrived, things probably would have gone very badly for the Colonials. Chuckling fondly at the question about the far east.

"Well Hong Kong was nice, the people were very polite and respectful to all, incredible boxers I must say, I spent most of my time in Vietnam, in the northern part during the war," He chewed on the tip of his cigar as he took a few more long puffs, it was not a pleasant time for him to remember.
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 19 2012, 07:27 PM

Wonders

Full App

Francis was fascinated at the man's travels. "I hear the Oriental are even more polite than the English, so crowded though, I hear. Hong Kong has to be a shining star of freedom in the Chinese government's control."

It was amazing that this man had gone so far, across the whole world, while Francis had barely left New Venice state. "It must be amazing traveling so far, but I have to ask, what was a Frenchman doing traveling so far? If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were in the French Foreign Legion."
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 19 2012, 07:47 PM

Humans

Full App

Nodding and tapping the Legion pin on his collar. "Oui, Sudan, Libya, Egypt and then finally Vietnam for three years, I was one of those youths who believed in all the glory and glamour of being in the Foreign Legion and I signed up eager as can be and spent the next six years marching from absurdly hot location to the next...but I survived, was young enough to still have a full life ahead of me and now I have grand and glorious tales to tell,"

Chuckling a little before taking another puff on his cigar "Though...I will never forget that day, there was a scottish lad in my unit...that day I'll never forget as long as I live," His eyes and tone turning serious. "That fateful morning...the smell, my god the smell...I'll never know what cruel thoughts ran through God's mind when he let it happen...who would ever serve Haggis in the Sudanese desert?" Winking and chuckling again.

PM>>
^
 Posted: May 19 2012, 09:18 PM

Wonders

Full App

Francis wrinkled his nose in disgust. "Dear lord, and Haggis smells bad on a good day." He had the unfortunate event of Zoe buying his lunch one day. That day had been haggis. He had never been so sick in his life. The host swore it was only a bad ingredient mixed in, but Francis never ate it again.

So this man wasn't just a socialite, he was an ex-mercenary, the FFL was one of the most renown mercenary groups in all of history. He had only read of their exploits on the newsletters and from the circles his father forced him to talk with. "That must have been an amazing experience, apart from ducking lead, and the heatful haggis of course."
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 19 2012, 09:43 PM

Humans

Full App

Chuckling fondly at the memory of the Haggis, it had been horrific, and he had been a fish mongers apprentice as a child, and haggis was still worse to him. He had many great memories, both good and bad. "Indeed Haggis is a most horrific experience, but yes I've seen things most people wouldn't believe, ships on fire off the coast of Tonkin. I watched cannons roar in the dark near the Pyramids, seen Wonder's wrestle tigers, airship fleets on fire,"

Smoking on the cigar again "Apologies good sir, I tend to ramble on occasion, tis a terrible habit my mother cursed me with, cigar?"
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 19 2012, 10:50 PM

Wonders

Full App

The man told details that Francis only read in novels. It was amazing to think that someone could actually go through all that. Francis would most likely be a mess in any war. He was a scholar, not a fighter. He studied history, not mentioned in it. He almost found the whole thing unbelievably surreal that someone could live through that.

"Oh, no thank you, Smoke can seep into some of the artifacts, so I tend to not partake. If I'm not mistaken France is currently at war with some empire in the African west. The expansion of the English and French powers into the safari is getting bloody. Tell me, why did you leave the Legion? There are diamonds over there, so I'm told, just laying on the sand in places. A mercenary could get rich in a place like that."
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 20 2012, 10:40 AM

Humans

Full App

"Yes my country of birth is at war...it's always at war with some other country over some meaningless scraps of land, but as I to why I left, my contract with them was up and I decided I did not want to stay and gamble on my life again, the secret to being a good gambler is knowing when to hold your cards and when to fold," Enjoying another long drag on his cigar which was nearing it's end.

"Is there door outside I can dispose of this in a minute with?" He asked holding up the cigar. "And then I would love to see the Egyptian display you have"
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 21 2012, 03:13 PM

Wonders

Full App

Francis nodded at his reason. War is hell, as the old saying goes. "I can understand the need to be away from such dangers. I've never been a good gambler." Zoe is though, I awoke one day to find our small stash of personal money increased three times the amount we had when we shifted. I was scared there for a second, till I saw the rest of the chips. He was shaken out of his inner monologue by the man's question.

"Ah, yes, of course, right over here." Francis led him to one of the side entrances, not off the main street, but a side avenue. It was a smaller entrance, one most people don't use. save for the couple engaged in a deadly game of duels, with their tongues as swords. He raised an eyebrow and turned his back to the illicit affair. "Here you are good sir."
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 21 2012, 05:02 PM

Humans

Full App

Smiling fondly at the sight of a young couple having fun and enjoying themselves. 'To be young' he thought as he finished off his cigar and tossed it at a puddle. It pulled a memory up from Vietnam years back He was rest against the side of post near the camp, enjoying a cigarette and trying to keep it out of the rain. Smiling and exhaling as he tossed it out towards a rain puddle and then the whole world exploded as he was sent flying backwards from an explosion. Landing in the mud and rolling to his feet as he heard the bugle call to arms, grabbing his rifle he charged the towards the same direction the rest of the camp was run as more cannon balls exploded around the camp.

Shaking his head for a moment "Merde...." He muttered under his breath for a second before composing himself. "I believe you mentioned something about Egyptian artifacts?"
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 21 2012, 10:50 PM

Wonders

Full App

Francis watched the man shake his head, warding off some kind of negative reaction to... something. Before Francis could ask, the man was talking to him again. It was something he was eager to show someone, anyone. They had just gotten the sarcophagus on loan from London, and wanted to show it off. "Ah, the Egyptian exhibit! Of course, right this way, good sir."

Francis led the man back inside and down one of the hallways, where the Party was thinned. Most of the people were congregated in the medieval section, where the most action in history was. Francis realized something, looking at the man, he said, "I do not believe we've been formally introduced, My name is Francis, Francis Tellerman."
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 22 2012, 12:15 AM

Humans

Full App

Following Francis to the Egyptian Display, it was amazing, he'd seen the pyramids at a distance, had never the chance to go and visit them in person even though he'd love to. There was something about ancient cultures that were magical to him, especially Egypt and Alexander the Great. "It's amazing...absolutely stunning,"

Smiling a little at the mention of introductions he extended his hand after switching his cane to his left hand. "Julius Remi Lyca, a pleasure Mr Tellerman,"
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 22 2012, 01:10 AM

Wonders

Full App

"Welcome to New Venice, Mr. Lyca." He met the man's hand with his own and gave a hearty shake. He turned back to the exhibits. "Yes, quite, One of the Cradles of Civilization! The heart of the Nile river. Sadly we have barely any information on their tombs, though I hear there is to be an expedition to excavate The tombs in the Valley of the Kings in the next few years. I think the projected date is sometime in nineteen-oh-two."

He looked at the jewel of his exhibit, the Sarcophagus. "It's the only one recovered so far," He said, looking at it. "Amazingly, the Nile flooded his tomb, and when they dug around it after the flooding, they found this guy."
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 22 2012, 01:40 AM

Humans

Full App

"Most intriguing...I may have to try and stay young and spry for that expedition once it comes around, I would most like to go exploring some forgotten tombs not opened by man in a thousand years, terrible curses and ancient omens...ahhh archaeologists have all the fun" Looking at the artifacts and sarcophagus, he'd love to add that to his collection but it seemed a bit too big to carry out of here on his own and he was growing fond of the curator.

"Tis a shame we don't know more about them...history is such a wonderful thing, I always have to wonder how much we know is actually the truth, as they say the victor will never be asked if he told the truth,"
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 22 2012, 07:30 PM

Wonders

Full App

Staring at the Sarcophagus, Francis understood completely what the man meant. "I have a feeling that someday, that quote will become famous. It has that ring to it." He turned away from the coffin. "History is a great thing, we should learn from it, for it is doomed to repeat itself."

Francis pondered history. It was older than the oldest. Many civilizations have disappeared in it's sands. "There is an old saying, that there is nothing new under the sun. Yes, we have much to learn from those ancients."
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 22 2012, 08:30 PM

Humans

Full App

Nodding in agreeance with Francis, it was very true. "As the Bard said, There is more between heaven and hell than are dreamt of in your philosophy Horatio, I wonder how little we actually know about the world, how much of history is actually fact or embellishment or fiction entirely, what myths were actually Wonders and which were just the imagination of a story teller,"

Looking at the artifacts, he wondered what the craftsmen thought as they made these things, what went through their minds, were they repaid properly? or were they given a pittance or merely their lives. Such things wandered into his mind when he was lost in thought.
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 22 2012, 08:43 PM

Wonders

Full App

Artifacts, those old, ancient relics of the past, monuments to the great civilizations lost in time. What secrets do they hold, what stories do they tell? These thoughts and more swarmed and swam through his head as he studied the found pieces of the past. "It's amazing that these stood the tests of time. Wars, plague, natural disasters. They lived and are still available to us now. Maybe not new, but still useful to our understanding of the past."

Francis nodded, "The Bard, Stratford upon Avon. Amazing man, amazing works. So much hidden meanings in his writing. Some say Shakespeare worked closely with the occultist Francis Bacon. Some even say that his work was written by Bacon himself. You cannot argue that his works have an otherworldly astuteness. One can only wonder."
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 23 2012, 02:30 AM

Humans

Full App

"I've often wondered if Shakespeare was not a Wonder himself...I'd hope he was not one, it'd be nice to think some of our great accomplishments were done by mortal men and women...though I can't help but wonder if there a few who had a hand in the pyramids at all...one has to wonder how in Gods name they made those things" Looking at the artifacts, he'd could probably snag a few, but finding a buyer for something that unique in a new town..would be tough. Musing for a moment 'I'll wait till it's being shipped back to London' he thought 'better to steal it on the move rather than here' was his rationalization.

"I'm not racist against them or anything, I've known a couple of wonders in my time, they were extremely helpful in the war, one cannot believe how useful something as running fast or flying is until you need supplies fast,"
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 23 2012, 04:32 PM

Wonders

Full App

Francis looked over at the man from the corner of his eye. "Yes, wonders can be a great asset, if they put their abilities to good use, something the community can benefit from, but as the saying goes "If you've done something good, people will wonder if you've done anything at all." The bad wonders often spoil what good the rest of them could do." Francis nodded.

It was a shame other wonders who used their abilities for evil and personal gain corrupted the reputation of all the others. don't know what good our ability is, Zoe, we can't really use ours to benefit people. He told his sleeping sister, even though she could not hear him, it was good to think she was listening.
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 23 2012, 05:21 PM

Humans

Full App

"Agreed, it only takes a few bad apples to spoil the bunch, tragic as it is...I cannot imagine the suffering they've endured in the Inquisition...it must've been a nightmare for them all," Shaking his head at the thought, he'd seen what humanity was capable of inflicting upon itself, it was a terrifying notion to dwell upon. The world was changing and for someone people way too quickly.

"But it's the only world we have right now, unless someone can make a better one...though that is something that has always perplexed me, I've heard people many times mention that they want to leave a better generation for the world, wouldn't you want to leave a better world for the next generation?"
PM>>
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Options Pages: (3) 1 2 3   New Reply  New Topic  New Poll 

CBOX