so we've put it at the bottom!
Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )  New Reply  New Topic  New Poll 

Paper Faces on Parade, Julius
Francis and Zoe Tellerman
 Posted: May 23 2012, 09:20 PM

Wonders

Full App
Played by: N/A

"The Inquisition, ah that period of time. It was the bloodiest period of history." Francis turned to the man. "The ironic thing is that it was started by a "peaceful" religion. I know they are not doing it now, but they do seem to deny it ever happening, and the branches are quite fond of saying "Oh that wasn't us." when the fact is that the great schism didn't occur until after the inquisition. so I think all the branches are to blame. Shamans, witches, wonders, what is next? all different words for the same thing. The only thing is that we are more polite about it."

Francis sighed, "It is a shame the mayor seems to detest wonders. I hope we learn from the past and do not create another witch hunt. Only this time it will be a wonder hunt. Forget about future generations being better, we need to make this generation better."
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 24 2012, 06:35 PM

Humans

Full App

"The mayor really? aren't public officials supposed to be impartial? what am I talking about they serve the interests of the men who give them money to pay for their campaigns...such is a waste of democracy," Shaking his head disappointingly, after all the work that was done to ensure the freedom of this country some people just didn't understand the sacrifices and the spirit of those sacrifices.

"Personally that's why I don't prescribe to any particular religion, I do believe in a higher power and when I die I'll answer to him and him alone, no man in a funny hat and some robes is going to tell me how to live my life, But that is my personal opinion and belief, everyone is entitled to their own believes as they don't hurt or infringe upon another's way of life"
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 25 2012, 12:30 AM

Wonders

Full App

"Oh, that is correct, you were not in town when the mayor held his press conference." Francis said, Of course he wouldn't know about the current events. Well, let me bring you up to speed on the recent goings on in New Venice. You see, a wonder was brutally murdered here, near the town center. As it goes, the mayor scheduled a press conference a few weeks later. We were all expecting him to comment on the wonder slaying, but he never did.

"Well, at least on his own. A reporter spoke up, asking about the slaying. The mayor gave a vert curt, and albeit rude response. Now, that wasn't enough to say he dislikes wonders, but it is what happened afterwards. The reporter was fired from his job, and none of the papers ran another story on the wonder who was killed. On top of that, It seems the reporter has gone missing."
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 25 2012, 12:42 AM

Humans

Full App

Arching and eyebrow and sighing, he was disgusted by this mayor, he'd have to go and take a few things from the Mayor. Rubbing his eyes for a moment. "That...is just ...words cannot describe my disappointment in your mayor, a murder should always be taken care of, irregardless of the victim, just distasteful to ignore something of such magnitude,"

Shaking his head and sighing once more "But let us speak of more pleasant topics, tis bad luck to talk about unpleasant topics for too long," Apparently this city had more problems in it than he originally anticipated, it might be harder to deal with everything he needed to than he thought.
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 25 2012, 01:05 AM

Wonders

Full App

Francis nodded, "Yes, yes, it is a shame. Wonders are a big issue lately." well ever since we got rights that is. "But right, let us move on. The city is depressing enough without having to dwell on it." He chuckled, "So, how is France getting along with the advances in steam technology? If I remember, New Venice is the leading city in the world when it comes to Steam-tech mechanics, Is the rest of Europe doing as well as we are?"
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 25 2012, 01:53 AM

Humans

Full App

"Europe isn't doing too bad, the Swiss and English are leading the pack sadly, my country is still recovering from Napoleon's reign and our latest wars, haven't had enough time to sit and advance much technologically, though we do have some nice airships, even got to ride in a few on occasion," Musing to himself for a moment, he did wish his country would become a technological power but they still were the lead in Art and Fashion at least.

"Well we still are putting out some of the best art pieces in the world at least,"
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 25 2012, 01:26 PM

Wonders

Full App

"Well, that is good to hear. Art can be as much a cultural revolution as technology, as well as giving us some visual insight on how life was in the past. I mean I doubt we could justly view the roman gladiators and their plights just by text alone." Francis thought for a second. "Europe always had the best artist, philosophers and architects. But I must say, America is getting along well in technology and writers. Our writing excels in innovation. Look at Edgar Allen Poe. In death he is acclaimed as one of the greatest gothic writers of the century."
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 25 2012, 08:20 PM

Humans

Full App

"Ahhh yes Mr Poe, a great writer, taken before his time like so many other greats throughout history, Alexander of Macedonia another great man taken too early, Machiavelli as well, so many great men, it's odd that they all die young usually, Burning the Candle at both ends eh?" He mused for a moment, it was odd that most of the great men in history died early on in their lives, usually right after or before they were recognized for their accomplishments.

"It's a bit sad isn't it? to go so far, accomplish so much, to be spoken of for centuries after your death, only to die shortly after your greatest feats...saddens me some,"
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 25 2012, 08:31 PM

Wonders

Full App

Francis had to agree. "Your never as famous alive as you are dead." He gave a chuckle. "If you think your at the top of where you can reach, might as well end yourself before you sully your reputation." Francis joked. That would have been his fathers idealism certainly, go out at the top of your game. Francis preferred to go as far as one can, never giving up hope. Zoe just takes that one step further. Francis gave a small smile at the thought.

"Well, still, in the same retrospect, some men live longer than they deserve. Take the great Khan, ravaged Asia extensiveness, or Nero, burning Rome just for the fun of it. It seems like the greater of a person we are, the less life we get."
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 25 2012, 08:39 PM

Humans

Full App

"It does make me wonder if each person is only allotted so much adventure or greatness in life before they run out and have to die...though then you go over DaVinci or Michelangelo or Beethoven who lived long lives and did a great deal through out their existence...It makes me wonder sometimes," Musing on that thought for a moment. "I do wonder..."

Fiddling with the top of his cane idling as they talked, it was something he, keep his hands busy and out of pockets. He had acquired enough from some of the stuffy rich folks here already, and this man was the most interesting person he'd talked to in quite awhile.
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 25 2012, 08:49 PM

Wonders

Full App

"Ah, there are always the bad apples that spoils the bushel, isn't there?" He laughed lightly at the thought. "Some bad apples," He rested his hand on his chin for a second, rubbing the stubble he didn't bother to shave today. "Wonder, eh? I've often wondered which of these great men were in fact wonders, hidden throughout history. It makes you think, some of our greatest men could have been hiding secrets bigger than mistresses."
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 26 2012, 11:15 PM

Humans

Full App

Nodding in agreement with Francis. "Many of them very well could have been...how many of them were Wonders, conversely how many were persecuted for being Wonders who were just talented humans? it makes me curious at times," Flexing his fingers momentarily, he needed to pull a good gig off sometime soon, he was getting the itch again.

"So you live here all your life? or did you move here after you got the curator position?"
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 26 2012, 11:57 PM

Wonders

Full App

"Huh? Oh, I've lived here all my life." Francis replied to the man's question. He had only set foot outside of New Venice a few times in his life. He could probably count all of them on his hands. No idea how many times Zoe has wandered out of the city. It was interesting to meet someone from another country,

"So, tell me Mr. Lyca, Why did you leave France? And why New Venice?"
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 27 2012, 12:26 AM

Humans

Full App

"Well being home got too... mundane, family didn't quite understand me after I got back from the war," Musing a little over the memories, it wasn't a complete lie, his family didn't understand him...mostly due to his larcenous activites and his occasional fighting. "It was hard for me to adjust to normality after the things I'd seen and done, so I travelled for a couple years around Europe and Northern Africa and decided that it was time to come see America and New Venice was fairly famous and so here i am,"
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 27 2012, 12:35 AM

Wonders

Full App

Francis nodded, "Sounds like you've had quite a life. I may have to hear it sometime. I have never been out of the country, sadly. I would love to tour Europe. Unfortunately I would hate to leave my sister." No, I'd hate to see my sister in Europe. No idea what kind, or how much trouble she would get into in another country. He would still love to travel. He wanted to see the remarkable places, so full of memories, history, stories waiting to be told.
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 27 2012, 12:44 AM

Humans

Full App

"Ahhh a sister, sadly I was never blessed with one....probably for the best I would make a terrible brother, would be far too over protective, my cousin complained about me chaperoning around everywhere with her, though I may have been a trifle too aggressive with some of her suitors...she was angry at me for some of those times," Smiling fondly at the memory. "If you decide to leave and visit France first I could go with you, give you a grand tour of Marseilles,"
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 27 2012, 12:59 AM

Wonders

Full App

"Yes, She requires a lot of upkeep. Got to love her all the same." He smiled slightly at the escapades she wrote in their book the next time he was conscious. And she always wrote them out in stories. Unlike his bullet point remarks, hers were stories and tales, almost like waiting for the next time to see what happened. She had no modesty, or subtlety to her writings. The twins had no secrets between each other.

He thought about it, then responded, "Well, If I ever choose to go visit France, I'll be sure to look you up. Coming home is one of the best feelings ever."
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 27 2012, 02:03 AM

Humans

Full App

"All good women require upkeep, like anything of value constant maintenance is a must and there is no better feel than returning home being gone for so long...it is a nice side effect of constantly travelling," Rubbing his chin and scratching his beard some. "Kind of the fun of it, go and have fun come back have a party everything and everyone are happy and then you leave again before things get back to normal,"
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 27 2012, 02:36 AM

Wonders

Full App

"Aye, all good women do, I will agree with that." and despite all her shortcomings, she is a good woman. She needs to settle down some, but good none the less. Francis looked up, in thought. "Constant travelling, the winds at your back, so to speak. Must be great. Never sleeping in the same place twice, new and exotic local to look forward to.

"No two days are ever the same. It must be a grandiose adventure. If only I could travel." Maybe one of these days the museum will let me embark on some expedition, "But in all truth, I could never leave. This museum wouldn't run as efficiently as now if I was away for even a month."
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 27 2012, 06:00 AM

Humans

Full App

"It is a fun adventure at times, usually once you get where your going, getting from place to place is often boring, trapped on ship, either on sea or in the air for days...weeks at a time is stifling and one becomes to feel trapped," Scratching the back of his neck. "Something I'm glad i've never experienced, a sea battle...or airship one, the thought unnerves me greatly,"
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 27 2012, 08:22 PM

Wonders

Full App

Francis gave an understanding, slow gasp, "Ah, I see, for a solder so use to walking, being stuffed in those cramped spaces would give one claustrophobia. Closed in, no escape. suffocating." He gave a smile. "And I bet it is extremely boring as well. I would need a library to survive weeks cramped in a ship." Not to mention Zoe would be bored enough to probably destroy the whole ship... no no she would be in the engine rooms, talking the men to death.
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 28 2012, 02:35 AM

Humans

Full App

Chuckling a little "No I'm just leery about being out in the middle of the sea in case something goes wrong, nothing can be done about it, granted I respect sailors and airmen, I don't want to do their jobs," Flying and sailing unnerved him greatly, he didn't like not having a plan or anyway to land or swim too, it was never good. He'd been on a sinking ship once, thank god it was in a harbor and he was able to get to shore quickly.
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 28 2012, 02:59 AM

Wonders

Full App

"Ah, so thats how it is, I can understand that. I respect solders, police, etc, butI could never do their jobs. I'm a scholar, not a fighter." He shrugged his shoulder as if to say "thats how it is," Francis could defend himself, make no mistake, and if things got too tough, he could always call on Zoe, somehow she learned some crazy shit from this asian guy in one of the more estranged places in the Kesky. He remembered reading her "story" and thinking Never fighting with her again.
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 29 2012, 06:44 PM

Humans

Full App

"Indeed, now it's the Sappers that worry me...those men are insane, completely," Chuckling fondly at the memory of Sergio, a large gigantic russian man he knew. Sappers did worry him a lot, they died quickly and violently. "Those guys just charge fortifications with axes and try to chop them down before they're shot...I like to think I'm brave, but I won't do that ever,"

Rubbing his chin absentmindedly. "Couldn't do police work either, all that trouble day in and day out, criminals knowing exactly where you live...I couldn't handle that sort of life if I had a family,"
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 29 2012, 10:20 PM

Wonders

Full App

Francis nodded, he could understand where the Frenchman was coming from. His family was very important to him and Zoe, and if it were not for his father, the twins couldn't care less if anyone knew they were wonders. His father however, insisted that they kept it a secret. He had heard all about those wonder "hunts" late at night, but they were generally just in the Kesky. Then the wonder killing really set him off, immobile that they be kept secret.

"Ah yes, they do put themselves in a lot of risk, and their families. I'm sure that is a major reason most of the Ronkers are estranged from their spouses." Francis took out his pocket watch and checked the time. "Dear lord, the time does fly when one is in a stimulating conversation. Say, we have set up a great food table, are you feeling as peckish as I am?" Francis and Zoe pretty much always felt peckish, due to the fact that they share basically the existence, they need to eat enough for two people.
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 29 2012, 11:16 PM

Humans

Full App

"Ahhh food does sound excellent," Pulling out his watch "My word you are correct, time does indeed fly while having good conversation," Nodding in agreeance. "The life of law enforcement is a rough life, they will always have my deepest respect and admiration," For they are the only challenge I ever have...and usually not much at that.

"What is the planned meal for today? After a month of eating on a ship anything cooked by a human being sounds absolutely Divine to me," Following Francis towards where ever this miracle table was.
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 29 2012, 11:37 PM

Wonders

Full App

The table was back near the crowd, So Francis had to maneuver around the mingling rich and snobbish people. The table was laden with those bite sized sandwiches of cucumber and cream-cheeses, rich meats of the well breeded turkey and chicken, as well as roast beef, pork, and even some of the small steak tidbit sandwiches were still there. Salads of all kinds were at one end, as well as dressings. The last bit of the table was deserts of cheesecakes, red velvet, rich and fluffy vanilla and dark creamy chocolates. Wines, brandies and cognacs of many different brands stood off on a table just for the drinks.

Francis turned to the man and said "I knew it's not a true meal to fill the belly, I didn't cater to this event, but enough of this fluff will keep one from starving, so have your fill." Francis let Julius go first before collecting his own plate.
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 30 2012, 12:19 AM

Humans

Full App

Moving along the table, grabbing a few cucumber sandwiches and steak ones as well, piling one some meats and cheeses as well and moving along and grabbing a small glass of brandy and angling for somewhere to sit down and eat. "It all looks amazing my good sir, excellent idea,"

Digging into the food, it was quite good, portions were small but it was meant to be snack food and not a meal proper, but were amazing none the less. "I will have to treat you to a meal at some point," Keeping himself removed from the rest of the guests, he didn't want to run the risk of one of them noticing they were missing anything.
PM>>
^
 Posted: May 30 2012, 01:21 AM

Wonders

Full App

Francis only picked two of the sandwiches, a thin sliced turkey, and a cream-cheese, along with a nice smooth white wine. He had eaten before coming to the event, so it was just customary to eat some as not to piss off the catering, and to respect the host. He wasn't hosting the party, the museum was just rented for the night out to the rich snob who wanted it. He contributed nicely to the museum for his little "party".

Francis ate a little, taking small bites. "Yes, the food is great, made by one of the best catering companies in the city." He took another bite. "I'm glad I'm not hosting this event, the man paid out his rich derriere for all this. That band is not cheap, I'll tell you that." He said, pointing his sandwich at the quartet that was playing music for the night. "Came right from the New Venice Orchestra." He wondered how deep that rich sod's pockets actually were.
PM>>
^
Julius Lyca
 Posted: May 30 2012, 01:55 AM

Humans

Full App

Finishing off his first one quickly before slowing down. It was a very well to do event tonight, very affluent whoever the host was. He needed to find a mark like that soon and make some payroll for himself very soon, he could afford to take a few months off with this kind of money. "Well the 'elite' are nothing if not concerned with appearances and how all others view them,"

Taking a slow sip on his brandy and enjoying the fiery taste it left burning down his throat and into his stomach. "Ahhhh good spirits as well, your host definitely knows how to make a decent impression upon all,"
PM>>
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Options Pages: (3) 1 2 3   New Reply  New Topic  New Poll 

CBOX