Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )  New Reply  New Topic  New Poll 

& Tonight, A Suckling Pig Basted In Its Own Juices, Nora
Arthur Chase
 Posted: May 23 2012, 03:09 PM

Inactive Character

Full App
Played by: N/A

"Arthur, dear, when is she coming, again?"

He glanced up at his wife, a fond smile playing about the corners of his mouth. "I set it up for seven. Are the kids ready?" His daughter had disappeared up the stairs with the intent of doing so at around four. At sixteen, it was in her nature to be fascinated by a career such as Eleanora's, although Arthur certainly had tried to press on her that it was not a suitable alternative to her current lifestyle.

"They should be getting ready. I'll go check on them," she offered, standing with a faint, contented sigh. They shared a smile before she left, and Arthur returned to his paper.

~

Anna was bouncing at the window. She'd tried putting on makeup, and Elizabeth had ended up wiping most of it off, although faint red stains still colored her lips and cheeks. She'd wanted to impress their guest with her womanliness.

Max, a surly fifteen-year old, was sulking in his chair. He'd had plans with some friends that evening that Arthur had forced him to break, and he was already staring resentfully at the front door, arms crossed. Arthur pointed at him. "Stop pouting," he ordered, trying not to smile at the boy's sullen expression. "Your face is going to freeze there."

"I see her! Oh, Daddy, I want to open the door!" Anna squealed, bolting out of the parlor and for the front hall.

"At least let her knock, first!" Elizabeth called, laughing.

Grary came to the doorway of the parlor, looking chagrined. "Miss Anna insists on opening the door for the lady," he said, with the long-suffering sigh of someone who had put up with this situation far too often.

"Oh, is that what she was yelling 'I want to open the door' about?" Arthur asked, with a grin.

Elizabeth smacked him lightly on the shoulder. "You promised no sarcasm today." He raised his hands in surrender, and she raised an eyebrow at him before standing herself and looking pointedly at Max. "I would like to see a pleasant expression on your face, please." The boy rolled his eyes a bit, but managed to look a little less bratty as Anna yanked the door open.

"Hi!" she said, waving frantically.

Arthur stood, coming up behind her, and laughed. "Honey, she's not even halfway up the drive, yet."

"She's so pretty, Daddy."

He waved at Nora, as Elizabeth and Max shuffled into the hall behind him.
PM>>
^
Eleanora Wayland
 Posted: May 25 2012, 10:49 PM

Humans

Full App

"Good evening." It was impossible not to smile at such a greeting, and Nora did so, the wide grin far from her usual fake smiles or simpers. She had dressed for the night more properly than usual, which in this case meant far less cleavage and skirts that were demurely long enough to conceal any trace of ankles showing. Still, even dressed as a proper lady her beauty did tend to show through.

She ascended the steps to the front door, joining Arthur and a girl she assumed was his daughter. It surprised her a bit, in spite of how nice he'd been to her on their first meeting, that he intended his children to attend dinner with her. Maybe he really wasn't bothered by her profession after all.
PM>>
^
Arthur Chase
 Posted: May 30 2012, 10:20 PM

Inactive Character

Full App

Arthur grinned. "Miss Wayland. You probably saw my daughter from the street," he added, gently shifting her out of the way so that the woman would have room to move inside. As she did so, the footman closed the door, smothering a smile as Grary looked on in silent, bereaved exasperation. "This is my wife, Elizabeth."

Elizabeth was a plain-looking woman, definitely not attractive or by any means striking to look at, but she had a wide, warm smile. "It's so lovely to meet you, Miss Wayland."

Arthur continued. Gesturing at his son, he said, "My son, Max."

Max seemed to have come around as soon as Nora arrived, probably blown away by her looks. Turning a bit red, he nodded stiffly, eyes wide.

"And my daughter, Anna." He squeezed her shoulder, and she bounced out of his grip.

"I'm so excited to meet you! Daddy told me all about you. You have to tell me everything -- promise me you will!" Behind her, Arthur raised his eyes to the ceiling and spread his hands out as if to ask, Why, God?
PM>>
^
Eleanora Wayland
 Posted: May 30 2012, 11:08 PM

Humans

Full App

"Well, maybe not everything." Nora smiled at the girl, charmed by her enthusiasm but certain that her father didn't want her learning the details of a courtesan's life. Those weren't things for a well-bred young lady to know.

"A lady has to have a few mysteries, after all." She couldn't help slanting a look at Max before turning her attention to Arthur's wife. "Thank you so much for having me."
PM>>
^
Arthur Chase
 Posted: May 30 2012, 11:23 PM

Inactive Character

Full App

Anna was still all smiles, and Max was all blushes.

Elizabeth smiled wider. "It is my pleasure. Arthur has spoken so highly of you, I knew I'd have to meet you. He's also told me about your book, and I think it's a wonderful idea!"
PM>>
^
Eleanora Wayland
 Posted: May 31 2012, 12:55 AM

Humans

Full App

"Thank you." She was glad that apparently the man believed in full disclosure when it came to his wife. "I'm sure it's bound to ruffle a few feathers."
PM>>
^
Arthur Chase
 Posted: Jun 1 2012, 12:11 AM

Inactive Character

Full App

Elizabeth laughed. "Then I'm absolutely certain I will enjoy it."

Grary cleared his throat, softly. "Sir, Madame... shall we adjourn to the sitting room for some pre-dinner refreshments?"

Arthur gave the man a wry look. "Sorry, Grary. Alright, everyone pile into the sitting room before Grary quits in a rage!" he called out, ushering Anna towards the room. Elizabeth turned Max in the appropriate direction and did the same.

The butler gave Arthur a narrow look, trying not to smile. But he turned and left, presumably to go to the kitchen and get the refreshments.

In the sitting room, Elizabeth gestured towards the couches and chairs. "Please, wherever you'd like, Miss Wayland."
PM>>
^
Eleanora Wayland
 Posted: Jun 2 2012, 12:52 PM

Humans

Full App

"Thank you." She took a seat, her posture proper rather than her usual habit of lounging seductively. It was nice, really, to be able to relax and drop the act for a while.

"So, Mrs. Chase, has your husband told you how we met?" She asked with a small smile. "I found him skulking about in the library at a party, being quite unforgivably antisocial." She slanted an amused look at the man in question.
PM>>
^
Arthur Chase
 Posted: Jun 3 2012, 06:59 AM

Inactive Character

Full App

"Woah!" Arthur interjected, giving Eleanora a mock-wounded look. "And what were you doing in the library, if not being just as unforgivably unsocial?"

"She was probably sick of all the men staring at her," Anna cut in, her tone the smugly knowledgeable tone of teenagers everywhere. She nodded sagely upon completing her hypothesis, although she was still looking at Nora in rapture.

Max snorted. "That's stupid."

"You're stupid!"

"Children," Elizabeth said, smoothly but firmly. They silenced, glaring at each other, and she smiled at Nora. "He did mention that. He has always had such a terrible habit of wandering off when he should be rubbing elbows," she added, with a fond smile at her husband, who waved the comment away in fake irritation. "You should talk to his aides. They have tales of the most intense frustration anyone has ever witnessed, trying to get him to act like a proper Senator."
PM>>
^
Eleanora Wayland
 Posted: Jun 4 2012, 10:43 PM

Humans

Full App

"It must get tiresome, being proper all the time." Nora replied with a smile. "Not that I've had to worry much about such things, but I've always imagined it must be so." She glanced over at the children, then, taking a moment to choose her words.

"It's true that sometimes the...scrutiny at such gatherings can be exhausting."
PM>>
^
Arthur Chase
 Posted: Jun 6 2012, 07:51 PM

Inactive Character

Full App

"Oh, it's horrible," he said, frankly. "I have to smile and say polite things like 'I'm doing pleasantly, and how does the evening find you?' Nobody can not sound like a jerk while they're saying that. Trust me. I've tried it with every possible inflection."

Elizabeth sent him a wry grin as Anna piped up, too excited to pay attention to anyone but Nora.

"It must be so glamorous! Isn't it? With all the men vying for your attention? I bet they send you flowers and cards, do they?"
PM>>
^
Eleanora Wayland
 Posted: Jun 9 2012, 01:21 PM

Humans

Full App

She arched an eyebrow at the girl's question, smiling. "Some do. Most know that it takes more than flowers or cards to get my attention." The implication was obvious, but she wondered if the girl really understood what she was asking. Clearly she thought a courtesan's life was glamorous in some way, which most of the time was quite far from the truth.
PM>>
^
Arthur Chase
 Posted: Jun 22 2012, 04:52 AM

Inactive Character

Full App

The implication flew over the girl's head, god bless her. "Like what?"

"Anna, let's not badger our guest," Elizabeth said, warmly but primly.
PM>>
^
Eleanora Wayland
 Posted: Jun 22 2012, 09:33 PM

Humans

Full App

"Like this?" She lifted a hand, brushing her hair back from her ear to reveal one of a pair of gorgeous, platinum-set sapphire earrings. "A gift from an...admirer." She hoped the girl understood just what she'd done to earn that gift...she wasn't one to sugarcoat her profession.
PM>>
^
Arthur Chase
 Posted: Jun 23 2012, 04:54 AM

Inactive Character

Full App

Anna's eyes were wide. "Wow," she breathed. "Someone gave that to you? They must have liked you a lot." She was so naive -- her world was seen solely through pink-tinged glasses, romantic and heroic and sweeping. She had a dreamy look to her eyes as she stared at the earrings, no doubt imagining the swashbuckling young man who'd presented them to Nora.

Arthur met Elizabeth's gaze and shook his head a little, amused. Just then, Grary appeared. "Dinner is ready, sir," he said, sounding pleased that he'd managed to get the evening to progress without much incident.

"Excellent. Miss Wayland, if you would follow Grary?" As the guest, she would precede the family, and be seated first.

The man waited for the woman to stand and approach before bowing ever-so-slightly and turning to lead them all to the dining room. Anna was right on Nora's heels, followed by Arthur and Elizabeth, with Max sulking still at the rear, dragging his heels and sighing just loud enough to let his parents know how upset he was that he had to do this. Pretty though she was, he doubted a dinner with Nora would make up for a night of roughhousing with his friends.

The dining room was elegant but simple. Elizabeth had good taste. Grary pulled out a chair and indicated it for Nora, while Arthur did similarly for Elizabeth.

After a stern look from his father, Max rolled his eyes and did the same for his sister.
PM>>
^
Eleanora Wayland
 Posted: Jun 23 2012, 01:13 PM

Humans

Full App

"On the contrary, dear. I earned them." Flashing the girl a smile, Nora rose with the others as they moved into the dining room. She nodded her thanks to Grary, taking the seat he offered, and looking over the table.

"Well this is lovely." She looked over to Elizabeth with a genuine smile. "You set a beautiful table, Mrs. Chase."
PM>>
^
Arthur Chase
 Posted: Jun 24 2012, 08:50 AM

Inactive Character

Full App

Elizabeth waved the compliment away. "Oh, this is all Grary's doing," she said, modestly.

"And it would not have been possible without items you picked out," Grary said, pushing Nora's seat in and smiling at the woman.

"All this kerfluffle over some plates. I picked out plates, too," Arthur pointed out, causing both Grary and Elizabeth to grimace as they were forced to recall the china he would have purchased had his wife not stepped in. "They were not that bad! Children, your father is a fine plate-picker," he added, pointing at Max and Anna by turns.

Anna looked at her mother, who shook her head slightly.

"I saw that," Arthur said, turning his accusatory pointing finger on Elizabeth.
PM>>
^
Eleanora Wayland
 Posted: Jun 24 2012, 07:52 PM

Humans

Full App

"I'm sure you have many other...admirable qualities." Nora offered, her eyes twinkling with amusement. It was...refreshing to be around what felt like such a normal family. In spite of the dynamics, even any bickering, they clearly cared very much for each other. It was a side of people she didn't usually see.
PM>>
^
Arthur Chase
 Posted: Jul 4 2012, 09:56 AM

Inactive Character

Full App

"Don't take their side!" he groaned, slapping a hand to his forehead.

Elizabeth leaned across the table, eyebrows raised conspiratorially at Nora. "They had pictures of turkeys on them."

"Turkeys are elegant creatures!"
PM>>
^
Eleanora Wayland
 Posted: Jul 6 2012, 01:35 PM

Humans

Full App

Nora had taken a sip of her water and nearly spit it back out again. "Oh yes...of course..." She managed, trying not to cough.
PM>>
^
Arthur Chase
 Posted: Jul 6 2012, 01:53 PM

Inactive Character

Full App

"This is a witch hunt," Arthur grumbled, as the doors opened and servants entered with the first course -- a salad made with pears, arugula, and gorgonzola.

Max poked at his. "I hate cheese."
PM>>
^
Eleanora Wayland
 Posted: Jul 6 2012, 10:24 PM

Humans

Full App

"This is delicious." Nora said pointedly, ignoring Max's ill-tempered grumbling as she sampled her own salad.
PM>>
^
Arthur Chase
 Posted: Jul 9 2012, 03:14 AM

Inactive Character

Full App

Elizabeth gave Max a stern look. "No one likes a grumbler at the dinner table," she said, pointedly. "And there are people in this very city who would--"

"Give an arm and a leg for my food, I know, I know," he sighed.

Arthur's demeanor shifted into serious mode. "Don't disrespect your mother, Max."

The boy blushed, embarrassed at being admonished, and muttered an apology into his salad as he continued to poke it around.

Anna, although she did not like cheese either, was following Nora's lead and eating it happily, putting down her fork whenever the woman did and taking a bite at precisely the same time.
PM>>
^
Eleanora Wayland
 Posted: Jul 9 2012, 03:13 PM

Humans

Full App

She arched an eyebrow at that, impressed. Arthur might seem like a pushover, but she got the impression he didn't mind people thinking that about him. In fact, he seemed to prefer it. She supposed that being underestimated had proved something of an asset for him.

She ate daintily, pretending not to notice the girl copying her every move.
PM>>
^
Arthur Chase
 Posted: Jul 10 2012, 04:55 AM

Inactive Character

Full App

Arthur shifted back into his usual, jovial attitude, winking at his wife, who was grinning wryly behind her hand.

Anna piped up, then. "Have you been to any glamorous parties, lately?"
PM>>
^
Eleanora Wayland
 Posted: Jul 10 2012, 03:02 PM

Humans

Full App

"Besides the one I met your father at?" She responded with a smile for the girl. "I've been to a few, although I have to say that glamorous parties are usually not as much fun as they appear from the outside. Everyone there is trying to impress someone...it's exhausting just trying to keep up with it all."
PM>>
^
Arthur Chase
 Posted: Jul 11 2012, 04:55 AM

Inactive Character

Full App

"I bet you don't have to work very hard to impress anyone," Anna sighed, wistfully, a whimsical smile on her face.
PM>>
^
Eleanora Wayland
 Posted: Jul 11 2012, 04:43 PM

Humans

Full App

"On the contrary." She hoped they would excuse such talk at the dinner table, but she didn't want the girl getting some romanticized idea of what she did for a living. "I work very hard. Making a good impression is vital for me to make a living."
PM>>
^
Arthur Chase
 Posted: Jul 11 2012, 08:45 PM

Inactive Character

Full App

Anna looked enthralled. "It is?"
PM>>
^
Eleanora Wayland
 Posted: Jul 12 2012, 01:23 AM

Humans

Full App

"Well, yes." She smiled at Arthur. "Have you ever noticed just how many women like me there are at an...establishment like the one where I work? There is always competition. And then if you're invited out to a party or gathering, making the wrong impression can get you banned from important circles."
PM>>
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Options Pages: (2) 1 2   New Reply  New Topic  New Poll 

CBOX