Can't find the cbox? Your screen's too small,
so we've put it at the bottom!
Pages: (5) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )  New Reply  New Topic  New Poll 

Pony-Rides, Anya + Jake
Thackeray Holmwood
 Posted: Jul 9 2012, 04:56 AM

Inactive Character

Full App
Played by: N/A

Cassandra had agreed to help Anya dress in the typical habit of a gentlewoman going horseback riding. Despite her demeanor, Thackeray could tell that his cousin had warmed up to the snarky little streetrat -- although, as per usual, it was more in Cassandra's nature to show affection in the most aggressively sarcastic and deadpan manner possible. He could tell she'd grown to like Anya, though, because she'd somehow magically appeared right when he'd been looking for a maid to help dress her, and had only put up a token resistance to his urgings.

He wasn't sure about Jake's measurements, so while he brought some extra clothes out -- in case the newsie wanted to, although somehow Thackeray doubted he did -- he left them on his bed and didn't take much time to prepare them.

He'd make sure Jake got a cloak, though. He'd feel bad if he caught a chill, riding in weather like this.

Leaving his room, he wondered if the newsie was almost there or not, and he walked down the hallway to Anya's guest room and knocked. "Are you ready, yet?"

"Come in," Cassandra called. "I'm doing her hair."

Opening the door, he rolled his eyes. "She's going on a horseback ride, Cassandra. Her hair's just going to end up a mess, regardless."

"Well, it's going to be a fabulous-looking mess, if she's going to be seen on our horses."

He shook his head, then smiled at Anya. "Excited?"
PM>>
^
Anya Wilder
 Posted: Jul 9 2012, 06:32 AM

Wonders

Full App
Played by: Jenn

Anya was excited to see Jake. Not going horseback riding. She really was a bit scared of going riding. The idea of getting thrown off a horse wasn't a good one. She had seen what happened to people who got thrown. Some of them weren't very lucky at all. She could remember seeing the broken bones. A small shiver ran down her back.

"Oh, yes," she put on a fake smile just as her hair got tugged, "so excited."
PM>> EMAIL>>
^
Cassandra Holmwood
 Posted: Jul 10 2012, 04:50 AM

Inactive Character

Full App

Cassandra gave her hair another light tug, purposefully. "Your fake smile could use a lot of work," she drawled, eyes half-lidded.
PM>>
^
Thackeray Holmwood
 Posted: Jul 10 2012, 04:51 AM

Inactive Character

Full App

"Oh, leave her alone," he said, laughing. Coming up beside Cassandra, he looked down at Anya and then grinned at his cousin's reflection in the mirror. "You gotta admit she cleans up well."

"Oh, do I, now?" she asked, archly.
PM>>
^
Anya Wilder
 Posted: Jul 10 2012, 06:29 AM

Wonders

Full App

"Its called a fake smile for a reason, Cassie." She felt another tug and glared at the cousins in the mirror as they began to talk about her.

"Hello! I'm sitting right here."
PM>> EMAIL>>
^
Thackeray Holmwood
 Posted: Jul 10 2012, 06:36 AM

Inactive Character

Full App

Thackeray gasped, putting a palm to his chest. "Anya?" he exclaimed, incredulously. "Is that you?"
PM>>
^
Anya Wilder
 Posted: Jul 10 2012, 06:38 AM

Wonders

Full App

"Shut up you little bastard," she looked away from him and back at her own reflection in the mirror. "Is Jake here yet?"
PM>> EMAIL>>
^
Thackeray Holmwood
 Posted: Jul 10 2012, 06:41 AM

Inactive Character

Full App

"I don't think so. Mr. Irving would have alerted us if he'd arrived."
PM>>
^
Jake Filster
 Posted: Jul 10 2012, 07:35 AM

Wonders

Full App
Played by: Lina

The Holmwood estate was suitably large. His eyes scanned the surroundings apprehensively before walking up to the door. Since invited, he felt an air of wrongness and anticipation about this. He wasn't sure what it was - but, by now, he had a pretty good idea - but he feared this interaction above all. There was something... wrong.

He couldn't remember it, but there was something wrong.

His hand hestitated before the door. Maybe he should just not show up. Anya would be furious, but he'd incurred her wrath before and survived. The idea of her disappointment moreso rattled, but he could get over that, too.

Yet he found himself knocking. Once, twice.

The door opened and the valet greeted him. The valet. Jake wasn't dressed for the occasion, and he knew it. Unfortunately for him, he didn't have the resources to afford nice clothes, not to mention riding clothes. So here he was, feeling small and inappropriate, in an absurdly large mansion. Great.

After a short conversation (Anya needed to stop using his last name), he was accompanied through a series of hallways and into a room where three remarkably well-dressed people stood. One was Thackeray, looking remarkably less miserable than he had at Anya's place, the other was Anya whom he didn't have trouble recognising but had a lot of trouble seeing and the last a girl he didn't know, but who looked about their age and was dressed even more stylishly (really?) than everyone else.

His eyes lingered on her red hair and a fistful of boiling lead dropped to the bottom of his stomach.

"Um. Hi," he said, framing the doorway. He was afraid to walk in further lest he dirty their pretty carpets.
PM>>
^
Anya Wilder
 Posted: Jul 10 2012, 03:31 PM

Wonders

Full App

Anya gave a small grunt in response to Thackeray (or it could have been at another tug on her hair from Cassandra). Maybe Jake wasn't going to come. She didn't blame him, really? Who would want to ride a horse in the middle of winter? She couldn't help but feel a bit of disappointment started to set in. Oddly enough, she kinda, sorta... missed him.

She sat quietly, fiddling with the gloves sitting on her lap. It wasn't until Anya heard a different voice that she looked up and turned to see who it was. A grin spread across her face.

"About time you showed up..."
PM>> EMAIL>>
^
Jake Filster
 Posted: Jul 10 2012, 04:16 PM

Wonders

Full App

He couldn't help it. "What. You missed me, Wilder?"
PM>>
^
Anya Wilder
 Posted: Jul 10 2012, 06:29 PM

Wonders

Full App

She avoided his question. For now. "I thought maybe you chickened out, Filster," the smirk still on her face. Maybe he could tell that she was glad to see him. Anya shooed Cassandra's hands away from her head and stood up, tossing the gloves where she had sat.
PM>> EMAIL>>
^
Thackeray Holmwood
 Posted: Jul 11 2012, 04:53 AM

Inactive Character

Full App

Cassandra made an irritated noise at being stopped early, and then contented herself with staring at the newsie in morbid fascination. He was filthy. It looked like he'd made his clothes out of some abandoned carriage curtains. Thackeray looked at her meaningfully and mouthed, be nice, and she widened her eyes innocently and shrugged.

Thackeray turned to grin at him. "I'm glad you're here. If you had decided not to show, I bet I couldn't have goaded her onto a horse to save my life."

Moving towards Jake, he switched his volume level to something a little less exuberant. "Uh... You know, I wasn't sure if you'd want to... do this, but I have clothes laid out that you can borrow for the ride. If you want." He suspected Jake would pridefully refuse the things, for some reason or another. "They might not fit great," he admitted.

Then he realized Jake probably did not care how things fit.
PM>>
^
Jake Filster
 Posted: Jul 11 2012, 08:46 AM

Wonders

Full App

He was looking at Anya and only Anya to avoid any glances from the other two. God above, he felt like a caged animal. When Thackeray moved towards him, he felt his body shrink a little, though Jake was pretty sure it was only in his head.

Clothes. Special riding clothes - how had he known that beforehand?

"Uh. Sure," he hesitantly replied. His eyes gave Thackeray a once-over and instantly hoped it wasn't his clothes that Jake would be wearing. The young man in front of him was a good few inches taller, but considerably thinner. Jake was never the tallest kid on the block, but he was strongly built and quick to strike first. Thackeray, Jake was sure, had probably never hit or considered hitting anyone in his life. The clothes would be... an interesting fit, to say the least. Not that he much cared - he could only hope he could move in them; that was the first and foremost rule of getting clothes, for a newsie. First and only, really.

But this is what Anya had asked of Jake and he, moronically, had said 'yes'.

Yeah, he was still very regretful of that and had a feeling the sentiment would only get worse with time.
PM>>
^
Anya Wilder
 Posted: Jul 11 2012, 03:42 PM

Wonders

Full App

Anya had glanced over at Cassandra, catching her staring. It sorta pissed her off. She sorta figured that Cassandra didn't think that anyone off the streets was all that attractive unless they were dressed right and she knew they had money. Jake was just as poor as Anya but she just didn't care.

But it didn't stop her front wondering what Jake would look like Richie clothes. But that only made her think back to the boy in the picture she had seen... Maybe she'd have to tell him about it.

"Feel lucky that you don't have to wear a corset. They're murder."
PM>> EMAIL>>
^
Thackeray Holmwood
 Posted: Jul 11 2012, 07:10 PM

Inactive Character

Full App

"They're not that bad," Thackeray said, uncertainly. "Anyway. I'm going to take him off to see how the clothes fit. Let Cassandra finish your hair, or else her head will explode."
PM>>
^
Jake Filster
 Posted: Jul 11 2012, 07:12 PM

Wonders

Full App

"Please, lead the way," Jake told Thackeray, smilelessly. He could pretend was going to enjoy this, but... meh.
PM>>
^
Anya Wilder
 Posted: Jul 11 2012, 07:23 PM

Wonders

Full App

Anya grinned and turned to look at Cassandra at the mention of her head exploding, "Ooo! I'd like to see that!" She turned back to the boys.

"Come on, Jakey! We'll have fun!" Though when she said that, she really didn't believe it, and her voice sort of showed it. She really wasn't looking forward to getting on a horse.
PM>> EMAIL>>
^
Thackeray Holmwood
 Posted: Jul 11 2012, 07:27 PM

Inactive Character

Full App

Thackeray began down the hallway, leading Jake off, and pointed back at Anya. "Do not explode my cousin's head."
PM>>
^
Jake Filster
 Posted: Jul 11 2012, 07:29 PM

Wonders

Full App

"That's your cousin?" Jake asked, more conversationally than anything. Awkward silences were never good. He also wondered if all Holmwoods just lived here in this big house. It certainly would fit them.
PM>>
^
Thackeray Holmwood
 Posted: Jul 11 2012, 07:33 PM

Inactive Character

Full App

"Mmhm. Cassandra. With any luck, you won't have to deal with her too much," Thackeray said, laughing. "I mean, I love her, but... she's a little much, at first. And by much, I mean she has a mouth on her... You should have seen Anya's first night here. They might have destroyed each other if they hadn't been across the dinner table from each other."
PM>>
^
Jake Filster
 Posted: Jul 11 2012, 07:35 PM

Wonders

Full App

Jake smirked. "Oh yeah, 'cause Anya's not easily irritable at all," he muttered, thin-lipped.
PM>>
^
Thackeray Holmwood
 Posted: Jul 11 2012, 07:36 PM

Inactive Character

Full App

Thackeray laughed. "Well, Cassandra definitely had her hand in it. She likes to incite."
PM>>
^
Jake Filster
 Posted: Jul 11 2012, 07:37 PM

Wonders

Full App

"And I sometimes think Anya likes to be incited. Expects it, even," he shot back, with a subtle smile. He'd often told her that he could say anything and she'd probably find something wrong with it.
PM>>
^
Thackeray Holmwood
 Posted: Jul 11 2012, 07:39 PM

Inactive Character

Full App

Thackeray thought if over, and then laughed. "I think you're right. Here, this is me," he added, stopping at a door and opening it. In terms of rooms, it was not as extravagant as Cassandra's, and was mostly covered in books and journals, although the furniture was clearly of a high quality. There were clothes on the bed.

"They're pretty straightforward, although you might need some help with the shirt," he murmured, thoughtfully.
PM>>
^
Jake Filster
 Posted: Jul 11 2012, 07:46 PM

Wonders

Full App

His eyes went to the books. "You sure like your books."

Interesting titles.

"Right. Clothes." His eyes jumped from the books to the bed. He really wanted to get this over with, so he put his hat down on the armchair then took of his coat and put it there, too, together with his scarf. He hadn't noticed how itchy it was. Then went his shirt. He was unbuttoning his trousers when he turned and said: "I think you're mad, by the way."
PM>>
^
Thackeray Holmwood
 Posted: Jul 11 2012, 07:47 PM

Inactive Character

Full App

Thackeray averted his eyes for the sake of privacy. "Yes, I do enjoy my books. Why am I mad?"
PM>>
^
Jake Filster
 Posted: Jul 11 2012, 07:50 PM

Wonders

Full App

"For doing this. I mean... this isn't some favour you make for a friend. You met a stranger and..." His hand flicked to the side, carelessly. "You invited her into your home, gave her new clothes and fed her. And all for nothing in return."
PM>>
^
Thackeray Holmwood
 Posted: Jul 11 2012, 07:52 PM

Inactive Character

Full App

Thackeray blinked. "Well, she did the same. And didn't let me die, while she was at it. That was nice of her," he said, grinning.
PM>>
^
Jake Filster
 Posted: Jul 11 2012, 07:59 PM

Wonders

Full App

He snorted. "Yeah. She gave you what you could always have, wherever you wanted it, whenever you wanted it. The epitome of luxury, that." Jake left his clothes on the armchair - if they soiled the lovely texture of the armchair, then so be it. It was Thackeray who had invited him in anyway. He picked up the trousers from the bed and slipped them on. They were rather tight, but... he flexed his leg. Eh, it would have to do.

The shirt was a completely different deal. He could almost... "I can't... I can't reach to tie this," he complained, his nose wrinkling in a way that would have made his mother sco-- what?
PM>>
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Options Pages: (5) 1 2 3 ... Last »  New Reply  New Topic  New Poll 

CBOX