so we've put it at the bottom!
   New Reply  New Topic  New Poll 

A summons for dinner..., Phineas
Gabriel Montere
 Posted: Jun 19 2012, 11:05 PM

Humans

Full App
Played by: N/A

As he re-read the invitation, no the stern summons, from his father he heaved a selfish sigh. Gabriel had been planning to meet a young lady that night for drinks and possibly a little fun, but this summons from his father had really put a damper on his evening. He was starting to feel the stress building inside of him and he knew he would need to find some company soon.

He thought about her soft pale skin and the gentle curves of her swelling bosom. He began to get lost in his thoughts until the carriage lurched forward pulling him out of his day dream. He bumped the top of the carriage with his cane to let Henry know he was annoyed.

"Begging your pardon sir" said Henry, "the horses are a bit skid-dish this evening".

"Well get them under control Henry, I would like to arrive with the appearance of a decent mood. Lord knows I will have to try hard to be interested in the boring goings on in the Steam Ship business" said Gabriel.

Gabriel didn't care much for the business end of things, he just liked the money. He knew someday his father's business would be left to him as well as his father's estate, but until that time he was going to have fun. He merely tolerated his father's attempts to educate him about the business.

The carriage pulled up to the front of the estate and Anthony quickly opened the door. Gabriel looked at Anthony and thought to himself how surprised he was that Anthony didn't look a day over 50. He knew that Anthony had to be at least 75, for he was old even when Gabriel was a child. Dismissing the thought with a hand Gabriel climbed out of the carriage and up the steps to the front entry way. He removed his winter coat and hat listening as snippets of conversation floated in from the parlor. He could just see his Father standing at the mantle telling some fantastical story about one boat or another, while his mother smiled and acted amused at all the right moments.

Gabriel steadied himself and pasted on a fake smile before turning to enter the party. His father was entertaining another family, a business partner for sure. His mother jumped up and quickly introduced everyone.

"Phineas", he thought to himself, "He seems to be about my age, please let him be more interesting than a glass of water".

He offered his hand to Phineas and said "How do you do?"
PM>>
^
Phineas Derrick
 Posted: Jun 20 2012, 05:40 AM

Humans

Full App

Phineas had dressed in rather a hurry that evening. He'd barely made it out of the house alive, in his opinion because Daphne had kept at him about the state of his cuffs. The ideas that had been floating around his head that morning had been too much to ignore and finally, after more than a month, he'd sat down to write. Cigarette after cigarette, drink after drink, page after page; it was finally coming together.

He had eaten nothing all day and now his stomach was growling painfully. His head swam and he constantly pulled at his coat sleeves to hide the ink on the cuffs of his shirt. The ends of his fingers were also black with ink and as he stood beside his mother, he ignored her nearly constant glances at them. Mr. Derrick Sr. stood at his other side talking to Mr. Montere.

Both men were speaking rapidly, Mr. Derrick probably the more rapid of the two, and all three men had drinks. Phineas's mother moved away from him and he stood with his father, drinking and desperately craving a cigarette. He'd forgotten to roll anymore and had left the house without any. And his father didn't smoke, either.

Suddenly the Montere butler appeared, bringing with him a young man Phineas had seen before but had never actually met. He didn't usually aquaint himself with all the principle people at parties. Most of the time he liked to watch and take notes, or listen in on conversations, writing down clever quips. Or even the stupidest ones. Everything had a place in fiction.

When Gabriel Montere reached out his hand and asked, "How do you do?" with the air of someone expecting an airy reply, Phineas felt he was in for a long night. He shook Gabriel's hand.

"How do I do, sir?" He asked. "I do poorly, actually. I'm standing here in this over bright room waiting on a dinner that probably won't be served for another hour. I've got pressing business at home and now you and I are supposed to make light chat for an entire evening and laugh at one another's jokes. My father, and probably yours, will be most disappointed if we don't leave here tonight drunk off our heads with our arms about each other's shoulders, proclaiming that we are long lost brothers of some kind. I say, do you have a cigarette or something? My head is starting to ache and I think I may kill someone before this is all over."

After a pause and a look around the room with a smile and a nod to his mother in the corner, "How do you do, Mr. Montere?"
PM>>
^
Gabriel Montere
 Posted: Jun 20 2012, 04:13 PM

Humans

Full App

Gabriel smiled at the mention of murder. Hadn't that been on tonight's menu not three days ago? He chuckled and threw himself down in to a chair indicating for Phineas to do the same. "Finally," exclaimed Gabriel, "someone refreshingly honest. I had been hoping to arrive just before dinner was served to avoid all this cozy chat mess, but as you can see I failed."

Gabriel reached in to his breast pocket and pulled out a cigarette case offering one to Phineas. He lit his own and took a long smooth drag before continuing on.

"I had big plans for this evening, in the not so proper sense of the word." Gabriel got lost in his thoughts for a moment before turning back to Phineas. "She smelled of lavender and her name was Sarah." He let out a small regretful sigh before taking another long drag on his cigarette.

"So tell me Phineas, are you destined to become one of my father's mindless business partners", asked Gabriel.
PM>>
^
Phineas Derrick
 Posted: Jun 21 2012, 05:36 AM

Humans

Full App

"Not if I have anything to say about it," he replied with a frown, taking the cigarette in his mouth. The calm was coming over him just having it there. The smell and taste of this one was different from the ones he rolled but that was to be expected. This taste however he didn't particularly like though he wasn't going to snub the proffered cigarette no matter how much he disliked it and this one wasn't too bad.

"I'm not in business, Mr. Montere," he blew out through his nose and then glanced at Gabriel. "But I notice you don't seem keen on it." A maid bearing a tray came around at that moment with drinks for the gentlemen. It was 1890 but in these sorts of circles, it could still have been 1792. The only real difference was some people arrived by steam car and there were no candles for servants to constantly attend to. Here there were gas lamps.

Phineas was thinking about this when he dropped into silence for a time. He was trying to work out his next story still, even though he had been writing the beginning chapters all morning. The time that he had decided on, did he really want it to be modern? Or throw it back a hundred years? Would certain aspects work better with candles? Well, he thought wryly, one can still set people on fire with gas lamps.

"Tell me about Sarah," he said suddenly, rousing himself out of his stupor. "I would like to assume you had nothing good planned with her."
PM>>
^
Gabriel Montere
 Posted: Jun 22 2012, 06:33 AM

Humans

Full App

Gabriel was a little taken back by the question. He was used to most people of his breeding glazing over his many philandering episodes. I guess you could say it was not often spoke of in polite conversation. As he thought about this he realized that he may enjoy Mr. Phineas Derrick's company much more than he had anticipated.

"I must say, what a brave question to ask", said Gabriel, "I can definitely tell you I had no intention of sleeping alone tonight. I rather enjoy the warmth of a woman's body as I fall asleep. Sarah is the servant for some rich lady or another. I have no doubt that when I am done with her it will make a small dent in my pocket book to get rid of her. Until that time I will definitely have my fun with her. "

Gabriel finished off his cigarette and reached in to his breast pocket to pull out another. Talking about his women always made him a bit nervous. He never knew whether he could keep control of his mouth when he needed to. Gabriel offered Phineas another and as he glanced over he finally noticed the ink stains all over Phineas' fingers.

"And as for your rather keen observation," he said "I have no interest in business. If my father could live forever and take care of the business, I would be perfectly happy spending my days doing nothing but going to parties and chasing beautiful woman. I find that living without a care in the world makes for a much less stressful life."

As he studied Phineas, he could tell that he was not like any other "son of a businessman" his father had invited home for dinner. Most of them sat listening to his fathers stories like love sick puppies lapping up every word. Phineas looked exactly like he felt. Like he had something, or someone, much more interesting waiting for him as soon as this night was over.

"So tell me Mr. Phineas," said Gabriel, "what, or whom, has got your mind elsewhere this evening?"
PM>>
^
Phineas Derrick
 Posted: Jun 29 2012, 07:51 PM

Humans

Full App

"Bodies," Phineas replied in a puff of smoke. "Well, only one body at the moment." He examined his cigarette as he spoke, as if it was far more interesting that Gabriel and who knew how Phineas's mind worked? Maybe it was more interesting than the bored son of a rich father. The paper and the tobacco had come from places that Phineas had never been. He'd been everywhere Gabriel had been. Every family went to the same resorts for the summer, sent their children to the same sorts of schools, or supplied them with the same sorts of tutors. What information could his companion give that he had not already heard or experienced? He'd been to London, Paris, though never Berlin but who went there?

"Phineas," Mr. Derrick Sr. came over and put his hand on his son's shoulder. "Don't bore our guest with your morbid talk. You might ease him out of his appetite and your mother has made special preparations that the desert is to Mr. Montere's liking." He smiled genially at Gabriel. "Unless you're a writer too? My son says he doesn't have a head for business but don't let him fool you. His books sell very well." What Mr. Derrick didn't add was that the books sold well enough to supply Phineas with a house but little else. Phineas wouldn't be able to afford his maid, for example, or his housekeeper, or his gardener. He wouldn't have money for food, or clothes, or spirits. He wouldn't have money to buy even the paper it would take to make another book. One didn't air out these little details at dinner parties. It was rude. And who wanted to give the rumor mills something else to churn?

"Father," Phineas patted his father's hand and then shrugged his shoulder to remove it. "If my new friend here is unsettled by bodies, then he and I have nothing to discuss." He turned to Gabriel. "That's pretty much all I write about. You wouldn't believe the idiots who read it."
PM>>
^
Gabriel Montere
 Posted: Jul 5 2012, 04:44 AM

Humans

Full App

Gabriel chuckled lightly as he thought about what Phineas had said. "Trust me Mr. Derreck, I am not prone to a weak constitution. I find it rather fascinating that Phineas here writes about bodies. If the books sell nearly as well as you say they do, he must be doing something right. Besides I rather enjoy almost any subject that gets me out of talking about business."

With that Gabriel turned back to Phineas and asked "Where do you get your research from? I don't feel that I am quite creative enough to make up a short story let alone an entire book."
PM>>
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Options   New Reply  New Topic  New Poll 

CBOX